[mythtv-users] Recordings start & end 10 seconds too soon, on all channels

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 12:57:01 UTC 2016

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> FWIW, most of the time, the "Time to record before start/past end of show (secs)" turns out to be a placebo that satisfies most users--and really has far less benefit than people believe.  If you can't count on it, it's not much offering much at all, but it's amazing how many people swear by it (without ever looking to see how infrequently it actually benefits them).  The only people for which it generally works are people who have twice as many inputs as they need--and those people would actually be better served by just using the Start Early/End Late settings on the recording rules (because they have plenty of inputs) and could even record more shows without problems. If you do want to over-record by 1 minute at the start and end of each show, you should set Start Early/End Late to 1 in the default Recording Rule Template to make it easier to set up new recording rules.

+1
Reading this, I can't help thinking along the lines of ... there are people who don't use start early AND end late for all their recordings, is there really a broadcaster with accurate scheduling ?

I have start 5 mins early and end 10 minutes late set for all my recordings - and sometimes I've extended the end a bit further ! Over here, BBC doesn't seem too bad *most* of the time, but some of the channels sometimes make you wonder if they actually own a clock - without extending the recordings, I'd regularly miss bits. If there's been "an event" then it's far from uncommon for things like news to over-run by at least a few minutes and put all the following programs late.

I don't often have conflicts - 2 tuners, 4 virtual tuners each, and 5 DVB-T muxes to go at. One of the "benefits" of all these new channels we get, is that there are a lot more repeats (to fill the time) for the scheduler to go at :-) I noticed the other night that I had 6 virtual tuners in use for a while - I don't often get it that high. I guess with one channel per tuner (as I'm guessing is the case with cable) it might be different.