[mythtv-users] apc backup

David Williams mythtv_david at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 19:12:12 UTC 2016

 p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }Gentlemen, thank youfor the time and effort spent in crafting such informative replies.This is valuable information and makes me wish I had posted prior toembarking upon what sounds like it may be a flawed strategy. My onlyexperience with battery backup is an aged, pre usb connection, APCunit I bought for a buck at the Habitat ReStore where I volunteer.With a cheap replacement battery it became the power source for aVOIP landline. We have my nearly 100 year old mother-in-law livingwith us and I need to maintain 911 service. To make a terrible pun Irun the modem, router and ATA-adapter through a centenarian apparatusto guard a centenarian. Its worked flawlessly for nearly three yearsthrough any number of outages and thus served as the impetus to use asimilar strategy for my MythTV box.
The major takeawaysfor me are as follows:
1) The stringmetaphor makes the point about duration interval quite well. Niceturn of a phrase.
2) What a greatstory about APC's non-warrantee; catch-22 at its worst. I should havepurchased a better UPS. I supposed I was swayed by the price andsheer number of Amazon customer reviews. Thanks for the heads upabout the generator. Does “slice” mean separate hard drive andwhat is a development box?
3) I need to acquirepartitioning skills. I've always just accepted the default settingswhen loading Ubuntu which is the distro I use. If anyone knows of aresource I'd appreciate a quick and dirty reference or two.
Dave

    On Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:17 PM, Stephen P Villano <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:

On 3/20/2016 9:10 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 11:03 PM, Mike Thomas <mt3 at pfw.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Like you I bought APC UPSes for home/office use. APC are a toy
>> manufacturer. Nobody relies upon them for anything but home use, or at
>> least I hope they don't. You get what you pay for.
> I will point out that APC has many different lines of UPS,
> from those targeted at the "cheap" customer that goes
> for whatever is lowest cost at the local consumer
> electronics store, to systems capable of supporting
> a significant (small) data center load.  That is not unique
> to APC (as you note).  It is not surprising that those
> that purchase cheap get cheap, and should expect
> the equipment (and the users who purchase them)
> to be considered disposable.
>
> As with all else, even the best manufacturer has
> had specific variants of their devices that are both
> well below, and well above, the "average" for that
> product line, and the environment you are running
> it in always matters.  When one wants to actually
> provide useful guidance to someone else, one must
> specify the exact model one purchased, and what
> environment one is running it in.  This is true if
> the device is a disk drive (believe it or not, not all
> deskstars are deathstars), or a UPS (a BackUPS
> running at 95% of rated load and always needing
> to buck/boost line voltage in a 35C closet is far
> different than a SmartUPS running at 5% of rated
> load with no need to adjust the line voltage in a
> 20C basement).

Or even an APC Symmetra, which is a far cry from a BackUPS unit. The old
adage is a truism, you get what you pay for.