[mythtv-users] apc backup

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:11:04 UTC 2016

> I'm posting to this group v. APC since my issue is mythtv-related.
>
> Spring rains generally manifest in power outages in my area with disastrous
> consequences. On more than one occasion my hard drive has been corrupted to
> the point where with my existing skill set I found it impossible to
> resurrect. It seems like BIOS was more forgiving than UEFI.
>
> In an effort to head off another round I purchased an APC 750 Backups. I set
> this up with the apcupsd app and it shuts down just great. My question is
> this: I used the stock settings with the exception of Battery level which I
> changed from 5 to 30. I welcome any and all advice on these settings.

I use an APC SmartUPS 1400 XL which I purchased 7 to 10 years ago on
eBay refirbished with new batteries for under $200 shipped. I have had
to replace the batteries 2 times for about $125 each time. This UPS
gives me about 2 hours of runtime for my mythbackend so I didn't
bother having a shutdown since 99% of my power outages are less than 1
hour.

John