[mythtv-users] Backend not listening on non-loopback address

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:37:43 UTC 2016

On 03/20/2016 04:12 PM, Andrew Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today I’ve upgraded from Mythbuntu 15.04 MythTV 0.27 to 16.04 0.28 and mostly it works great. I have one issue though, which is that at boot the backend has stopped listening on the local network address (192.168.1.12 in my case) and is only listening on 127.0.0.1. If I restart the backend after boot then it listens on 192.168.1.12 ok, so I assume the problem is that it’s starting before dhcp has set the network up.
>
> I assume this is related to Ubuntu switching to systemd. Does anyone have any hints on how I can make it wait before starting?

Quick fix: mythtv-setup/General/Listen on Link-Local addresses
and uncheck.

Better, type: systemctl cat mythtv-backend and see if there's
a line like this: ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/nm-online --quiet --timeout=5
that actually can check for the network being up, not that the
Network Manager has only started up.

If I recall, not everyone's *buntu has nm-online so it may not be in your
.service file.

If you change the .service file, then be sure to put in under /etc/
systemd/system otherwise if Mythbuntu releases a new version, your
changes will vanish (as they should.)

There's some good detail in: man nm-online on how to configure your
NICs in the 2nd paragraph.

--
Bill