[mythtv-users] Storage group 'Types' (from bug 12680)

thigger thigger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:20:34 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/16/2016 05:12 AM, thigger wrote:
> Having types isn't something we can just say we have.  It requires a lot of
> plumbing changes to the existing code to support the concept of SG
> types--much more than the changes required to add an ability to request
> no-fallback searches of SGs via RemoteFile, which (as I'm sure you've
> noticed) requires quite a bit of code changes.

Fair enough - but my question wasn't about whether it's easy - just
whether it's something people other than me think should be a goal.
When it comes to easy options - I already have exactly what I want - a
couple of source changes and my copy of mythtv is running with
fallback to the 'Default' group and no further.

In any case, it seems we already have storage group 'types' of a kind
in that they're treated differently by the code (in admittedly very
few places). MythTV prompts the creation of storage groups with
specific names, and there are internal storage groups. Perhaps these
are different to other storage groups created by the user and could be
treated differently in terms of fallback too? I'm still not entirely
sure how often the fallback is needed - obviously on my own system the
answer appears to be not-at-all - so is it only when users have put
files in strange places?

Tom