[mythtv-users] Install package for MythTV 0.27 on Raspberry Pi 2 Jessie

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:47:21 UTC 2016

On 16-03-10 01:12 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> I have built a debian installation for MythTV Light 0.27 on Raspbian
> Jessie, for Raspberry Pi 2 or better.
>
> ...<snip>...
>
> Get it from this page:
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythtv/releases/tag/v0.27.6-66
> You can download the deb file from there.

Great work Peter!

Thank you for working on the mythfrontend for Raspberry Pi 2+ and also
creating a .deb package.

I had no problem with installation by following your instructions.  All
of the required libraries appear to be installed automatically.  :-)

For RPi2 configuration I made sure I set the following parameters in
/boot/config.txt:

  decode_MPG2=0x12345678   # Use your own MPEG-2 license key here.
  gpu_mem=256

Also using *sudo raspi-config* I set my RPi2 to boot to a console
instead of a GUI.  Then to start mythfrontend I used:

  startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend

For testing I figured the best place to start was with the four bug
reports/tickets that mention "Raspberry" that I found earlier.

Following are my observations:

#12643 - Raspberry pi: Failure when resolution changes
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12643

.deb: Example video from this ticket plays for about 10 seconds,
      displays "Please Wait..." and then crashes.

This worked in your previous tarball so I know we should be able to
track down the culprit.

#12644 - Raspberry pi: Loses sound when skipping backwards
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12644

.deb: This worked well.  The sound immediately returned when skipping
      backwards (for example enter "5" and then "left arrow" key).

#12675 - Raspberry pi: Need a default video display profile for OpenMAX
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12675

.deb: This worked well.  An "OpenMAX Normal" video playback profile
      was automatically created.

#12677 - Raspberry Pi: jerkiness and interrupted audio during OSD
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12677

.deb: There is some flickering with the OSD display.  The flicker
      appears to be worse with themes that use larger OSD displays.
      I know this is an area you are working on.

Overall I am impressed with the new .deb package.  It is much easier
to install and easier to run (no special library paths required).

Best Regards,
Curtis