[mythtv-users] Frontend running on Intel i5-6200U (HD 520)

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Mar 8 11:27:04 UTC 2016

On 03/03/16 17:26, Richard Shaw wrote:
> What's the current situation with mythtv on intel video? I looked
> through the wiki as best I could but it all seems very dated.
>
> I'm looking at upgrading the wife's laptop from a 4 year old AMD/ATI
> system to an Intel i5-6200U.
>
> The frontend USED to work fine on the old one but at some point things
> broke and I have been unable to figure it out so for about the last year
> she's been using the ASX stream in VLC instead from mythweb.
>
> I'm assuming the laptop will have the horsepower for software
> deinterlace but I was curious what hardware acceleration options were
> available now-a-days on intel hardware.

The IntelHD hardware works well for me on both my laptops and
on the prod frontend (Intel NUC i3)

Depending on the generation of the hardware you will get at minimum
mpeg2 decoding by the hardware (via VAAPI), and on the chip you
mention you should get h264 as well.

vainfo will tell you the profiles your card supports.

> Additionally, does Vulkan change anything?

Not at this time.

Regards
Stuart