[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 - MythFrontend Setup Tutorial

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:16:46 UTC 2016

On 07/03/16 19:01, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> On 16-03-06 02:09 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>> Here is a Jessie build:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xolnnm0ennri9qz/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4.tar.bz2?dl=0
>>

> Thank you Peter for sharing your RPi2 MythTV build.
>
> I really appreciate that you are continuing the work to improve
> mythfrontend running on the Raspberry Pi 2.  :-)
>

> I did my best to follow the steps in your email.  However I suspect
> that I am missing some important steps because video playback was slow
> and jerky for me.
>
> One interesting observation is that I started with a new microSD card,
> but some of the default settings appear to be similar to my RPi2
> tutorial installation.  This makes me think that the MythTV Backend
> must keep track of some of the frontend settings.  That's just a guess
> though.
>
> One key question I have is:
>
>     Which video playback profile are you using?
>
> In an effort to pinpoint the missing steps, I have listed the setup
> steps I used.
>
> Best regards,
> Curtis
>

> INSTALLATION STEPS I USED
> -------------------------
>
>   1. Extract 2016-02-09-raspbian-jessie.zip to microSD card.
>
>   2. Use "sudo raspi-config" to change the following settings:
>
>          1) Expand Filesystem
>
>          3) Boot Options
>              B4 Desktop Autologin              # GUI runs on boot
>
>          5) Internationalisation Options
>              I1 Change Locale
>                  en_CA.UTF-8                   # Use your locale
>              I2 Change timezone
>                  America - Edmonton            # Use your timezone
>              I3 Change Keyboard Layout
>                  Generic 105-key (Intl) PC     # Use your keyboard
>                       English (US)             # To fix tilde ~ key
>                           Right Alt (AltGr)
>                               No compose key
>                                 Yes - Ctrl+Alt+BS to terminate X server
>
>          9) Advanced Options
>              A3 Memory Split
>                  gpu_mem=256
>              A9 Audio
>                  1 Force 3.5mm ('headphone') jack   # external speakers
>
>   3. Edit the /boot/config.txt file to add the MPEG-2 license key.
>
>   4. Extract mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4.tar.bz2
>
>      Note that this created:
>
>          raspi-0.27-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/...
>
>      I renamed this to match the name in the email instructions:
>
>          mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/...
>
>   5. Install suggested prerequisites:
>
>          sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 qt5-default \
>                               libqt5script5 ntp libicu52 libqt5sql5-mysql
>
>   6. Configure mythfrontend via SSH.
>
>          ssh -YC pi at 192.168.1.65
>
>          QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
>           LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/lib\
>           QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/plugins\
>           ~/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/bin/mythfrontend \
>            -w -geometry 1280x720 -p
>
>   7. Run mythfrontend from a terminal window with:
>
>          export MYTHTVDIR=~/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr
>          QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
> [...]
For openmax the settings I am using are :
At Playback Profiles (3/8) screen select "Edit"

1st line Match criteria set to ">="  W: "0" H: 0
2nd line Match criteria set to nothing ie. blank
3rd line Decoder "openmax" Max CPUs: "1" Deblocking filter selected
4th line Video renderer "openmax" OSD renderer "opengl2" OSD fade selected

on Next screen
1st line Primary deinterlacer "Advanced (HW)"   this is probably what is
missing
2nd line Fallback deinterlacer "Fast (HW)

Mike
3rd line Custom filters blank