[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 - MythFrontend Setup Tutorial

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 19:01:14 UTC 2016

On 16-03-06 02:09 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:

> Here is a Jessie build:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xolnnm0ennri9qz/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4.tar.bz2?dl=0

Thank you Peter for sharing your RPi2 MythTV build.

I really appreciate that you are continuing the work to improve
mythfrontend running on the Raspberry Pi 2.  :-)

I did my best to follow the steps in your email.  However I suspect
that I am missing some important steps because video playback was slow
and jerky for me.

One interesting observation is that I started with a new microSD card,
but some of the default settings appear to be similar to my RPi2
tutorial installation.  This makes me think that the MythTV Backend
must keep track of some of the frontend settings.  That's just a guess
though.

One key question I have is:

   Which video playback profile are you using?

In an effort to pinpoint the missing steps, I have listed the setup
steps I used.

Best regards,
Curtis

INSTALLATION STEPS I USED
-------------------------

 1. Extract 2016-02-09-raspbian-jessie.zip to microSD card.

 2. Use "sudo raspi-config" to change the following settings:

        1) Expand Filesystem

        3) Boot Options
            B4 Desktop Autologin              # GUI runs on boot

        5) Internationalisation Options
            I1 Change Locale
                en_CA.UTF-8                   # Use your locale
            I2 Change timezone
                America - Edmonton            # Use your timezone
            I3 Change Keyboard Layout
                Generic 105-key (Intl) PC     # Use your keyboard
                     English (US)             # To fix tilde ~ key
                         Right Alt (AltGr)
                             No compose key
                               Yes - Ctrl+Alt+BS to terminate X server

        9) Advanced Options
            A3 Memory Split
                gpu_mem=256
            A9 Audio
                1 Force 3.5mm ('headphone') jack   # external speakers

 3. Edit the /boot/config.txt file to add the MPEG-2 license key.

 4. Extract mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4.tar.bz2

    Note that this created:

        raspi-0.27-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/...

    I renamed this to match the name in the email instructions:

        mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/...

 5. Install suggested prerequisites:

        sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 qt5-default \
                             libqt5script5 ntp libicu52 libqt5sql5-mysql

 6. Configure mythfrontend via SSH.

        ssh -YC pi at 192.168.1.65

        QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
         LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/lib\
         QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/plugins\
         ~/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/bin/mythfrontend \
          -w -geometry 1280x720 -p

 7. Run mythfrontend from a terminal window with:

        export MYTHTVDIR=~/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr
        QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
         LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/lib\
         QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/plugins\
         PYTHONPATH=$MTHDIR/usr/local/lib/python2.7/sitepackages\
         $MYTHTVDIR/bin/mythfrontend

 8. Check / set mythtfrontend setup:

    Setup -> Appearance

        Paint engine:   Qt
        Menu theme:     Default

    Setup -> Theme Chooser

        MythCenter 1.2   # This one highlighted by default.
                         # Interestingly this is the one I used
                         # previously as described in my RPi2 tutorial.
                         #
                         # I wonder if the MythtV Backend somehow
                         # remembers this?
                         #
                         # Set to Steppes 2.18

    Setup -> Video -> Playback -> Playback Profiles (3/8)

        Current Video Playback Profile:  openmax   # no opengl2...

                         # Again I wonder if the Backend somehow
                         # remembers portions of the frontend settings
                         # because I previously used openmax, but it had
                         # additional configuration including OSD
                         # renderer opengl2.
                         #
                         # What do you have this set to?