[mythtv-users] anybody have experience with the WinTV-HVR-1975 on linux yet ?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 19:00:00 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now it's only a matter of finding which model numbers are compatible
> with linux, and then the right hardware vendor.

Define "compatible".  Hauppauge apparently provides an
out-of-tree driver for their latest hardware revisions.  If
compiling kernels and applying out of tree patches is
something you do as a matter of course, even the latest
hardware revision is likely "compatible".  If you want to just
install <distro> and have it work, and you acquire the
latest and greatest revision, you are likely to be disappointed,
as the driver for those new(er) models have not been
up-streamed (and the tuner will not "just work").  This is
approximately equivalent to the situation with (most of?)
the TBS tuners.

Note (for the record) that the original HVR-1950 ran
hot, and if it got "too hot" is failed in interesting ways.
I presume that newer revisions of the hardware may
run cooler (due to the usual reasons), but planning
to keep the device well ventilated in a cooler location
will not hurt (in the back of a closed A/V cabinet
running at 50C is unlikely to work reliably).