[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 - MythFrontend Setup Tutorial

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 21:09:07 UTC 2016

On 03/06/2016 12:03 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> Peter, I am interested to try your build of MythFrontend.  Especially if
> it supports MythTV 0.27.x because there are several MythBackend servers
> in my family running this version.

Here is a Jessie build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xolnnm0ennri9qz/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4.tar.bz2?dl=0

The files are a bit bigger than normal because it has debugging symbols.
That will not cause any problem.

It has improvements for the OSD judder. If you use theme Steppes it is
almost perfect. I am still working on enhancements that will get other
themes to be OK, The bigger the OSD the more the challenge. It is built
off the bennettpeter/mythtv git branch raspi/0.27 if you want to look at
the source.

Extract this into a directory (eg mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4) and
run it as follows (under X):

MYTHTVDIR=mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/lib\
       $MYTHTVDIR/bin/mythfrontend

Or else if you are brave just extract it into root and run as normal.
Not advised since the packaging system will not know about it.

You will need some prerequisites installed. I am not sure of all the
prerequisites - this uses QT5 and it is a mashup of the 0.27 and 0.28
prereqs.

Start with this:
sudo apt-get libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 qt5-default libqt5script5 ntp
libicu52 libqt5sql5-mysql

Note qt5-default will install extra stuff that is not required. If you
prefer you can try to figure out a smaller list of prerequisites with
just the needed QT5 libraries.

Peter