[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Jun 30 15:27:14 UTC 2016

> > I quickly determined that the "OK" button on my remote would wake up an
> > stb that was in standby (the standby screen actually says press OK to
> > watch tv), but it just brings up the OSD if the box is on.  So I just
> > added an "OK" to my channel change script.  It presses OK, waits 500ms,
> > then enters the channel number.  I have never needed to check the status
> > of my STB.
> >
> > It may be worthwhile to determine if there is any button press you can
> > send that will wake the box if its off, but not do anything if the box
> > is on.  Most of these boxes I have seen do not have a true "off" state.
>

> Good idea!   With my box, the only button other than the power toggle
> that wakes up my STB is the menu button, it seems.
>
> My 6200ch program is already a shell script that points to the real
> 6200ch.bin, so I've just prepended that with a "-m" (menu) and an "-e"
> (exit) invocation.   Now regardless of the power state of the stb, just
> changing the channel will wake it up.

Awesome... that really is far easier than trying to detect the power state
of the box.

The next thing I was going to suggest is to experiment with remote codes
that were not pulled from your remote... often times the STB will respond
to codes that may not have a corresponding button on the remote.  I know a
lot of Sony devices used to have a "power on" code in addition to the
"power toggle" code.  It wasn't on the remote, but it was available for
system integration purposes.