[mythtv-users] Cheap HDMI capture

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:24:12 UTC 2016

Hoi Michael,

> On 06/27/2016 09:29 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> First to several of the participants: Please do not TOP post!
>> Second I am surprised that not several US participants are lying in a
>> fit about breaking their extreme rich people centered copyright laws?
>> This would be OK in Europe but US???

> FWIW, we rich people in the US who normally speak up when people start
> discussing how to break US copyright laws on a publicly-archived,
> US-based mailing list for a US-based software project never once told
> you or anyone else not to break US copyright laws nor did we tell you
> not to steal content nor did we tell you how to live your lives.

> The only thing we've ever asked is that you respect a) the community, b)
> the developers (who could actually be named in a lawsuit if someone
> decides to accuse MythTV of being a platform for IP theft, as we all
> have real names and identities associated with the project), and c) the
> value of the MythTV software and project enough to refrain from
> discussing potentially unlawful activities on the MythTV mailing lists.
> There are plenty of other non-MythTV soapboxes on which you can stand to
> broadcast your message of freedom or fair use or whatever.

> It was a request for netiquette--no different from the request, ours and
> yours (above), that participants on the list do not top post (and it's
> even on the same wiki page)...

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette#Bottom_post
> and
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette#Anything_else_I_should_be_aware_of.3F

> But I'm done arguing (I wasn't even going to say a word about this
> thread until someone poked the bear, with an "us versus the mean mailing
> list tyrants" comment).  In my old age, I've learned that respect can't
> be forced on people, it must be earned.  I'm disappointed that MythTV
> hasn't earned that respect.  Perhaps MythTV will be best
> appreciated--like a fine artist--after its death when we all end up
> forced to use the garbage imposed upon us by cable-/satellite-TV
> companies with their DVRs designed to get us to pay more and more money
> each month for upgrades/extenders/... just to achieve a shadow of
> MythTV's capabilities.  Until then, I, personally, am bowing out of
> these arguments, and I'll leave it up to you and the community to decide
> whether to paint MythTV in a good light (it's true form) or to paint a
> target on its back in this over-zealous, lawsuit-happy society of today.

> Mike

Sorry Mike I was not attacking you! Or any of the other US
participants. I was only surprised I did not hear anybody reacting.
And I said "extreme rich people centered copyright laws" meaning that
if you have enough money people regularly seem to be able to buy their
laws!

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven