[mythtv-users] Cheap HDMI capture

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:40:34 UTC 2016

I have one of the originally identified devices (LKV373) though it is a
newer revision than the one described earlier.  The updated version no
longer uses MJPEG, but encodes the stream to h264 which results in much
better quality and framerates than the earlier models.  I'm not sure it can
fully replace my HDPVR yet, but it does work quite well right out of the
box.

There are some caveats however.  The device constantly is streaming data to
a multicast address.  If you have relatively simple networking/access
points at home, this can mean that the multicast data is treated as
broadcast and will happily spam your wireless network if you're not
careful.  I suspect it's best to put these devices on their own isolated
subnet and filter/route that data as needed.  It seems to work quite well
streaming at 720p60, but 1920x1080i30 seems to encode to a strange
resolution for some reason (~1735x1080 or something along those lines).

The devices do have firmware that can be updated, and there is an internal
webserver that can modify some of the settings, but a method to fully
control the encoding resolutions hasn't yet been discovered.  It does
appear to support HDCP in some manner, however I was able to plug a
Chromecast into it and stream from multiple applications without any
issue.  When connected to the HDCP protected cable box, it continued to
stream data to the network, but the output was no longer intelligible.