[mythtv-users] Cheap HDMI capture

Mitch Capper mitch.capper at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:20:47 UTC 2016

The before/after is somewhat interesting, also the device spits out MJPEG
which is not the best format from an efficiency point of view, in addition
only 2 channel PCM audio.   They are pretty cheap though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LKV373A-V3-0-HDMI-Extender-100-120M-HDMI-Extender-Over-Cat5-Cat6-Support-1080P-/191750919298
(although that may be a slightly newer version).

There is definitely no HDCP on the stream (MJPEG is literally just jpegs
over the network whole jpeg each frame) and given the application im
guessing the device is stripping HDCP.

There are devices that also split HDMI audio out (TOSLINK etc) only
downside is you may need to compensate for lag.

~Mitch