[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 00:20:41 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:51 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> I have heard so many horror stories about power supplies on the hdpvr

It is not just the HDPVR, but most consumer devices use
POS supplies because they can save a dollar or so for
each device, and if you sell millions, that is a nice bonus
(for the CEO).

FWIW, the typical STB supply is actually from a better
than average manufacturer.  Of course, there are
exceptions.

> likely more efficient than 8 wall warts would have been.

Possibly, possibly not.  Efficiency of a power supply
that is running at "idle" is often terrible.

> ... if it is indeed a power problem.

Obviously unconfirmed at this time, but whenever I hear
of a report of "glitches" with a Happauge device my
first two questions will be: How old is the power supply,
and how hot is the environment it is running in?
With summer, heat can have an impact too.