[mythtv-users] Can someone explain digital limbo?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Jun 22 00:05:25 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 4:39 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org>
wrote:

> Hi all. The deadline in my area for cable (TW) broadcasting to transition
> from partial analog to all-digital has passed. My analog tuners (HVR-1950)
> are acting a little stranger than usual--meaning they more regularly
> (daily) cease displaying live TV or recording--something they've been doing
> a lot less frequently since I acquired them (used). But when I reboot my
> MythTV, they once again allow me to view/record the analog broadcasts I've
> been receiving for a few years over this cable connection. I'm
> characterizing this post-deadline period as digital limbo.
>
> So I thought I'd ask the experts here for an explanation of what I'm
> seeing. Was the advertised deadline date somewhat arbitrary--by which I
> mean that the intention was to, at some point after the stated date, begin
> switching all broadcasts to digital? If so, how long might the process
> take? Or are they likely to chose internally another subsequent date to do
> the switchover en masse? I plan to continue monitoring developments here
> until such time as I can no longer bring in any cable broadcast, at which
> point I'll devote one of the HVR-1950's to OTA broadcast recording duties,
> so that I have a second OTA capture device.

When it happened to me on Comcast, about 8-9 years ago, it seemed like it
happened a week or two after the deadline, and I think it was a few
channels at a time. It happened while I was still struggling to get my IR
blasters working, so there were some recordings missed during that period.
I don't know when the process finished because I got everything working
shortly after (discovered I'd been sent a bad emitter) and stopped using
the analog tuner.

Karl