[mythtv-users] HDMI – no audio GT210

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:48:35 UTC 2016

Hi Stephen!

> >> Yes, a look at alsamixer's output can reveal all sorts of
> interesting
> >> things.  When using SPDIF output, I always have to unmute it before
> it
> >> will work.  And then sometimes the automatic "alsactl save" does
> not
> >> seem to happen, so I find it a good idea to do that after I have
> >> everything working.
> >They may have changed it to 'alsactl store' else just typed the wrong
> >word -- save, store, whatever to us humans! <g>  This newbie did a
> >Google search and found the storage goes to /etc/asound.conf -- which
> >don't have at all (!).  Significant??  Or just empty because I
> haven't
> >stored anything first?
> Sorry, I just typed the wrong word.  It is "alsactl store".

OK -- not a biggie; easy enough to type the wrong word.

> Whatever your Google search showed you was not correct.  Nothing
> normally writes its data to /etc - programs are supposed to store to
> /var.  On Ubuntu, alsactl stores to /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.  The
> /etc/asound.conf file is where you would put manual Alsa
> configurations to override the automatic setup.  Most people never
> need to do that, so never have to create that file.

(That may explain why sometimes my original Mythbuntu 10.10 that
recently died had some strange quirks -- I think I had the storage hard
drive mounted to /var!  ...<read list? "/var" -- Hmm: 'variable'?
Sounds good to me!)

I'm guessing but perhaps I need the /etc/asound.conf
because /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and alsamixer show four S/PDIF
options??  (WAG from a newbie, I'll admit it!) ==> which one do you
want?)  OTOH would seem at least one of the configuration files I
created (LowSky's and Gedaks's) would have worked.

> >And as I reminded Nick, in System Settings I don't have a 'Sound'
> icon.
> >LIS originally , not sure if that's significant.
> I think the Sound icon in System Settings may be new to 16.04.  I do
> not have it in Mythbuntu 14.04 64-bit, but I do have it on my test
> 16.04 box, which is a Ubuntu install, with the Mythbuntu packages
> added afterwards.  It is also possible that it is part of PulseAudio -
> that often gets uninstalled on MythTV boxes, as it can get in the way
> of things rather than help.

OK....  The BE and the Frontends are all 16.04.  Checked pulseaudio on
the FE and two errors: (first) pid.c: Daemon already running.  (second)
main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.  Looks like I'll see about clearing
out pulseaudio.  Looks like could only make better!

I'm running 14.04 on this box (just Ubuntu - no MythTV on it) and it
does have the Sound icon: LIS, that's why I'm, a hare 'suspicious' as to
why I have an audio problem on the Mythbuntu box and no Sound icon.
(Not saying you're wrong, just my bullheadedness!)

> And that reminds me that on my laptop, I had to install a PulseAudio
> volume control and unmute the speaker and headphone outputs before its
> sound would work.  It shows up on the Multimedia menu as "PulseAudio
> Volume Control".  I think the package to install is "pavucontrol".
>
> >> And then there is a new-ish bug that means that sometimes the
> "alsactl
> >> restore" that is supposed to happen on boot does not work, or
> >> something else turns off my SPDIF output.  So if I start playing a
> >> recording and there is no sound, the first thing I do is go to a
> >> command prompt and do an "alsactl restore" and 99% of the time it
> >> fixes it.  Sometimes I have that problem several times in one day,
> and
> >> sometimes not at all for a month or so.
> >
> >I wonder if that's what happened on my old Mythbuntu system (RIP --
> late
> >last week I think the storage drive died)  Rarely had to reboot one
> of
> >the Frontends to get sound.  (That's the reason I'm using the old
> HDMI
> >cards - trying to get them to connect to the new Backend.)
> It could be the same problem - it sounds similar.  I only have it on
> Mythbuntu 14.04 though, never on older versions.  I have not upgraded
> yet, to I do not know about 16.04.

Oh take the plunge!  (I'd drop down to 14.04 but I had enough problems
getting the tuner cards working.  And yes, they're a bit on the
long-at-the-tooth side too!)