[mythtv-users] HDMI – no audio GT210

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:24:37 UTC 2016

Hi Stephen!

Thanks for replying!

> Yes, a look at alsamixer's output can reveal all sorts of interesting
> things.  When using SPDIF output, I always have to unmute it before it
> will work.  And then sometimes the automatic "alsactl save" does not
> seem to happen, so I find it a good idea to do that after I have
> everything working.

They may have changed it to 'alsactl store' else just typed the wrong
word -- save, store, whatever to us humans! <g>  This newbie did a
Google search and found the storage goes to /etc/asound.conf -- which I
don't have at all (!).  Significant??  Or just empty because I haven't
stored anything first?

And as I reminded Nick, in System Settings I don't have a 'Sound' icon.
LIS originally , not sure if that's significant.

> And then there is a new-ish bug that means that sometimes the "alsactl
> restore" that is supposed to happen on boot does not work, or
> something else turns off my SPDIF output.  So if I start playing a
> recording and there is no sound, the first thing I do is go to a
> command prompt and do an "alsactl restore" and 99% of the time it
> fixes it.  Sometimes I have that problem several times in one day, and
> sometimes not at all for a month or so.

I wonder if that's what happened on my old Mythbuntu system (RIP -- late
last week I think the storage drive died)  Rarely had to reboot one of
the Frontends to get sound.  (That's the reason I'm using the old HDMI
cards - trying to get them to connect to the new Backend.)

> Another little gotch I have is with my laptop.  When it boots, it
> assumes the audio is going to the headphone jack.  I have to plug in
> and unplug my headphones to get it to go to the speakers.  I am sure
> there is an option somewhere to fix this, but I have never had the
> time to hunt it down.

Like this newbie knows much of anything ... ah heck: thought I
remembered I had something in my notes but was "if HDMI audio pass
through does not work".

> Note: The alsamixer and alsactl commands may need sudo - I run them
> from a root command prompt.

Right.  I've found a lot of stuff when Googling trying to figure this
last portion out and 'sudo' isn't written.  I usually figure if it
doesn't work as user 'barry' I just have to tell the computer who's boss
with the 'sudo' nametag! <g>

Anyway, thanks for the help!  We'll get this critter working yet!

Barry