[mythtv-users] Pi3 Playback problems with 1080i MPEG2?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 17:03:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Charles Bovy <charles.bovy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Other things to check
>>> - GPU memory, must be at least 128MB, but try 256MB to see if that helps
>>>

>> I’ve got it set to 256MB.  At that level, there is still free memory
>> available and zero swap usage.
>>

>>> - Perhaps some other process is using CPU. Try running top from ssh
>>> while playing back and see if anything other than mythfrontend is using
>>> lots of CPU.
>>>

>> Mythfrontend is the only significant CPU user, and there is plenty of
>> idle CPU.
>>

>>> - Is the mpeg2 license correctly installed?
>>>

>> Yes, confirmed via the command “vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG2” and also via
>> playback in Kodi.
>>

> I can confirm this behavior with 1080i material.It isn't playing that
> smoothly as 720 material.
> I'll try to find more details/debug on this issue.

I was playing around with this last weekend.   No progress on the 1080i,
but I did make one change in my Pi setup which others might find useful:

I installed Berryboot, which allows you to multi-boot your raspberry Pi via
a boot menu.  That way, I can have OpenElec along with Raspbian - along
with others like RetroPie on one SD card.    It makes it easier to
experiment with Mythfrontend, while keeping an OpenElec environment for
reliable playback.

http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot