[mythtv-users] Bad mysql performance -- huge oldrecorded -- joins without index

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Thu Jun 9 22:22:54 UTC 2016

Den 09. juni 2016 19:27, skrev Michael T. Dean:
> On 06/08/2016 07:33 PM, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
>> Den 09. juni 2016 01:11, skrev Håkon Alstadheim:
>>> Can't seem to get mythweb to speak english at the moment, below are
>>> the stats you are talking about in Norwegian I believe, after I
>>> deleted oldrecorded from 2001 until june 2013. I also deleted 6 *
>>> 365 entries of two daily news-shows, and some other
>>> low-hanging-fruit. phpMyAdmin now says 27 377 rows in oldrecorded. I
>>> know I have some recorded files missing, I usually try running a
>>> "find orphans" at least once a year.
>>>

>>>     Opptaksstatistikk
>>>
>>> Antall sendinger: (= number of broadcasts)
>>>     1678
>>> Antall episoder: (= number of episodes )
>>>     26827
>>> Første opptak: (= first recording)
>>>     Saturday June 1st, 2013
>>> Siste opptak: (= last recording )
>>>     Wednesday June 8th, 2016
>>> Total kjøretid: (= total running time )
>>>     3 år 7 dager 22 t 11 minutter
>>> Totalt tatt opp: (= total recorded )
>>>     2 år 23 dager 2 t 36 minutter
>>> Prosent av tiden brukt til å ta opp:
>>>     68%
>>>

>> I just realized you mentioned this report as well:
>> Only news-shows on the top 8, and that is after I removed a couple.
>> Then Shaun the Sheep at number 9 :-)
>
> So the changes you made to your data completely changed your data--you
> lost the record of the first 12-13 years of use, but what remains
> seems to indicate that your system was actually working properly.  The
> performance problem just came down to your having a ton of recordings
> over the years (and, yes, starting in 2001 is a lot of years--beats me
> by 3 years).
Ah, small typo on my part there it was 2010, not 2001 :-), so you hold
the record.

> That said, it sounds like things are working well for you now and you
> were mainly looking for information.  I hope we've provided
> sufficient--and sufficiently helpful--information.  At least you'll
> know what to look at in the future if things slow again. :)
Yes, thank you ever so much. A big part of performance issues is loss of
confidence in the system, and I feel reasonably sure now that there are
no gross misconfigurations causing any small hiccups that might be left.