[mythtv-users] Two channels are not found whilst tuning DVB-S UK/Astra28.2?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 8 01:32:36 UTC 2016

On 06/07/2016 09:26 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/07/2016 04:26 PM, nospam312 wrote:
>> Can anyone shed light on why two channels are not found when tuning.
>>
>> All other channels are found but Pick+1 and Challenge+1 are missing
>> and retuning does not seem to help?
>>
>> Does anyone know the precise frequency, fec and others for these two
>> channels so I can try a specific scan or know what the problem could be?
>>
>> Mythbuntu 2016/MythTV0.28/DVBSky 952v3.
>
> Don't know those channels, but have you tried increasing the tuning
> and signal timeouts before the scan?

Oh, and I should have said you probably want to increase them to (or at
least very near) the max to see if you can find them in a scan. If so,
you can then reduce them (if you feel you need to) to the lowest value
where channel changes (for both Live TV and recordings) are stable (they
work differently, so just because a Live TV channel change is stable
doesn't mean that recordings channel changes will be).  Alternatively,
just leave them high.

IMHO, our defaults are a bit too small for most (all?) card types, so
they only work for users with very strong and easy-to-find channels.
The hard part is finding the right value without going too large--since
increasing them will slow down channel scans (because we have to wait
longer to timeout on all the frequencies where there are no channels).
But, if you're willing to start a scan and walk away for a bit longer
(or, better put, as long as you know that it's doing something during
all that time, so you're not stopping it thinking it's not working), it
may well pick up the harder-to-tune channels for you.

Mike