[mythtv-users] upgrade to 16.04 - mysql - sudo apt-get upgrade failing - please help

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jun 6 05:34:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:17:45 +1000, you wrote:

>I got bit by that one too, it was hellish. Unfortunately I did not find the
>easy fix and resolved it by switching to mariadb and restoring from a db
>backup.

Why did you find it so difficult to resolve?  The error messages are
pretty clear in the mysql logs, so a google using that information
should have found the problem pretty quickly.  I do not think my test
box where I had this problem has any non-standard config to make mysql
log things - it is a fairly new Ubuntu 16.04 with the mythbuntu
packages installed on top of that.  So it just seems to me that there
must be quite a few people who do not know where to look for mysql
error messages.  They seem to find the messages about mysql not
starting, but not to look any further for the real mysql logs.