[mythtv-users] VGA -> RGB-SCART (PAL, 720x576i50) on Intel HD video possible?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:50:04 UTC 2016

Hoi Hika,

> Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 9:55:08 PM, you wrote:

>> Hoi Nick,

>> Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 9:39:36 PM, you wrote:

>>> It's not as simple as that. The VGA output needs to be able to display
>>> a PAL-compatible modeline directly to be able to use one of these
"simple" VGA->>>>RGB SCART cables.

>>> As I mentioned, I already use a VGA->RGB SCART cable with an ATI
>>> Radeon card (the sync circuit for Radeons is even simpler than for
>>> NVidia cards, as the ATI Radeon outputs composite sync).

>>> What I want to know is whether current Intel HD video natively
>>> supports a low enough dot clock (14MHz) to output the necessary
>>> 15.625kHz horizontal frequency PAL signal directly through the VGA
>>> output, or whether a "VGA -> PAL" converter would be required.

>>> Cheers,
>>> Nick

>> As far as I know Intel does not do interlaced, so the only option then
>> is Nvidia (nouveau also doesn't do interlaced). And I don't know about
>> those adapters you can buy, but for a few euro in electronics you can
>> solder one and all it needs is a card that does interlaced. The
>> modelines you can create/ supply yourself.
>> At the time I was building testing my solution, there where cards that
>> should do it, but the drivers'(a.o Nouveau, Intel) didn't do the
>> interlacing correct, giving f.i. two half pictures above each other.
>> The build-in Intel card I couldn't get working so I ended up added an
>> Nvidia with their driver.

> Common modelines for PAL is:
> Modeline "720x576pali"  13.88  720 742 808 888  576 578 581 625 -hsync -vsync interlace

> I adapted it to optimize for my TV removing overscan to:
> modeline "720x545_50i"  14.80  720 752 841 945  545 565 597 620 -hsync -vsync interlace

> You can use this site for modeline calculations:
> http://arachnoid.com/modelines/

Oh and you know scart has a few interesting extra pins?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

pin 8 Aspect:  0  - 2V off
              +5  - 8V 16:9
              +9.5-12V 4:3

And I have a pin set to high (5V) I think 16 but I have to check,
which makes the TV, when I turn on the PC, automatically switch to the
scart. I pull the 5V for this and pin 8 from usb. And I on the print
link in audio.

Here you find more about a print:
http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/

Tot mails,