[mythtv-users] VGA -> RGB-SCART (PAL, 720x576i50) on Intel HD video possible?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:04:27 UTC 2016

I'm curious to know if it's possible to use (and thus if anyone is
using) a VGA->RGB SCART output path on recent Intel Core-based systems
with Intel HD (i915) video?

Does the Intel HD video platform support outputting PAL-compatible
720x576i50 signals at 15kHz?

Background:

I've been using an old CRT with a frontend since 2006 and both are
still working fine. The box uses an ATI Radeon 9000 card and a simple
VGA->RGB cable (using composite sync), which produces a great quality
image compared to S-Video or composite. The TV has no support for
component video.

However, the module support to drive the Radeon at a low enough
dotclock to produce the PAL-compatible signal was removed in the X.org
upgrade that is present in Debian 8.0 (Jessie), so this particular box
is stuck on Wheezy (oldstable) and currently runs 0.27.6.

Planning ahead, what I'd like to do is decouple the TV from this
specific video card/cable - without sacrificing video quality - to
permit retiring the box and replacing with something newer when
necessary. If the TV fails first, there won't be a problem either way
as the Radeon card supports DVI (if I decide to keep the frontend
as-is, instead of replacing it).

I'd like to retain the RGB SCART signal, so I'm looking for another
VGA->RGB SCART solution (i.e. analog RGB, not a YPbPr component
signal) that ideally does not need output a PAL-compatible 15kHz
signal.

However, if modern Intel HD video can be persuaded to output a
PAL-compatible 720x576i50 15kHz signal (in the same way the Radeon
card does) that would be great to know, as it would simplify the
solution significantly.

I can buy a cheap HDMI (or VGA) to component YPbPr converter but I
would also need a YPbPr->RGBS converter. Most component/RGB converters
I have found so far want to convert analog RGB _to_ component Yipper,
rather than the other way around.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide,

Cheers,
Nick