[mythtv-users] Need nvidia driver recommendation

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Fri Jul 29 22:08:00 UTC 2016

On 7/29/2016 4:43 PM, Don Brett wrote:
> I have MythBuntu 14.04 with Mythfronend version: fixes/0.27
> (v0.27.6.27-g378dc8).  The existing nvidia GT710 was freezing up, so I
> temporarily installed a GT220 (with lots of driver challenges). Now I
> need to install a new EVGA-Geforce GT720.
>
> I'm a little confused;  it looks like I could use something called
> Nouveau, or Nvidia proprietary drivers, or use apt-get to install
> drivers (not sure I can get the right driver with apt-get).  Does anyone
> have a recommendation for this board?  If I use one method, do I have to
> do a purge or turn others off?
>
> Don
>
> PS - I did all kinds of stuff to get the GT220 to work...maybe have to
> purge something?

According to the supported products page, it looks like you need at
least v340 for that card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Nouveau is an open-source driver, but isn't feature complete, especially
on newer cards.  You'll probably have better luck with the proprietary
drivers.  You should be able to install them with apt-get/Synaptic.
Look for nvidia-graphics-drivers-340-updates (or one with a higher
number).

You can also install this PPA to get better/newer choices, which is what
I've done on my very similar system.
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

I've never really had any issues with my NVidia cards (several cards,
all *buntu systems), but here's a good page for reference:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia