[mythtv-users] OT: (a bit) Verizon router is it needed?

Rob bertaboy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 02:25:01 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Kris Jensen <kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello List.
>

> So I read an article on SlashDot that Verizon is intending to charge a fee
> of $2.80/month for using older Verizon provided routers and not buying
> there new router. (
> https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/07/20/2015249/verizon-begins-charging-a-fee-just-to-use-an-older-router
> ).
>

> I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you are a cablecard user that
> dose not use the provided Verizon STB, that one could drop the use of the
> Verizon router and plug directly in to the ONT's Cat5 connection and
> provide your own routing.
>

> Is anyone knowledgeable on Verizon stuff? Is that statement correct ?
>

> I would like to be well armed when calling Verizon to hopefully tell them
> to shove there box and fee's.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Kris.

I can report from my own experiences that a MOOC-enabled router needs to be
available for a one-time initialization for each STB, but the STB's can
work without the MOOC router thereafter with some tradeoffs:
Lack of programming guide information (not a concern for MythTV since we
use SchedulesDirect)
Lack of Video On Demand, which only your household can determine the value
of

I still don't get why the STB needs to have the MOOC router because regular
cablecard devices can initialize without it.  I've been thinking of buying
a set-top-box directly from a wholesaler and just using a CC device in
that, but haven't gotten around to biting the bullet on that yet (FTC's
announcement about trying to encourage a world after CableCard has me
skittish.)

We have a CAT5 line running directly from the ONT into our OpenWRT router
and do not have an ActionTec router.  Verizon's routers are also
unnecessary for their telephone service.