[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not working

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Wed Jul 27 14:47:16 UTC 2016

On 7/27/2016 6:45 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Maybe it's too early in the morning, but to me it looks like it
> shouldn't run.  The window says to only run it between 8 and 10:59pm
> local time and since EDT is -0400, that would mean the suggested run
> time was 12:36:22 local.
>
> The difference (reason that it worked on earlier versions) is
> that--for some reason users complained that MythTV should honor the
> mythfilldatabase run period even if they've selected to run at the
> suggested time--so current MythTV does so; whereas older versions used
> to ignore the run period.  Therefore, MythTV will only run
> mythfilldatabase if the suggested run time happens to be within the
> run period; otherwise, it must wait until you re-run mythfilldatabase
> and get a new suggested run time.  This actually breaks a lot of
> people's systems.  Again, unless it's too early in the morning and I'm
> wrong, it looks to me like it was not, which is why MythTV isn't
> running mythfilldatabase for you--you've told it not to.  If that's
> the case, yours is one of the systems broken by that change.

I am running 0.27. Looking at the code it would appear that if
UseSuggestedTime() is true it is based only on the suggested time. I
just took a look at 0.28/fixes and the logic seems the same - ignore the
window if UseSuggestedTime() is true.

Looking at the code, the most recent commit to backendhousekeeper.cpp
was in 2014 and was 'UseSuggestedTime() and InWindow() should be
mutually exclusive. - Fixes 12101'. So do you know where this change is
that you are mentioning?

After reading your email I have updated my db entries in case this
changes in the future. My guess is those entries are from way back when
before mythfilldatabase handled being told when to run and the time
window min/max was the only method. (0.22?)