[mythtv-users] Descriptive audio track plays on ripped video

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Jul 25 22:58:06 UTC 2016

On 7/24/2016 9:55 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 24/07/16 01:27, Steve Greene wrote:
>> Mythvideo doesn't see any other tracks, just AC3, 2 channel.
> Is that 'play as a video' inside the frontend?
>
> Try "mythffprobe -i </path/to/filename>"  to see what is present.
>
> That comes as part of mythtv, so you should already have it.
> ... and mythffprobe --help shows an amazing list of options
>>
>> Like I said, other players have no problem with the same file.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Steve Greene <sgreene59 at verizon.net
>> <mailto:sgreene59 at verizon.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Ripped with MakeMKV and Handbrake. I'll see if "+" works.
>
> Use that while the file is playing.  Both + and - should work.

If there are multiple audio tracks, you should be able to see the
evidence if you press M (Menu) while playing back. If there are multiple
audio tracks, the Audio sub-menu will have a "Select audio track"
sub-menu. Go there and you should be able to switch to the track that
vlc and mplayer choose by default. It should also give details on
language and channels per track.

FWIW, I have noticed that makemkv will automatically exclude some audio
tracks if they have the same language and # of channels. Might be worth
checking if it stripped the wrong track.

Regards,
Helen