[mythtv-users] interfacing MythTV with a DTA, lirc queries

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Fri Jul 22 02:30:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 20:28 -0500, James Miller wrote:

> I was under the impression that NTSC analog broadcasting had come to
> an
> end with this transition to digital. Am I wrong about that? Are you
> saying
> that, for example, the coaxial jack on this DTA that is labeled "to
> tv"
> will be putting out analog NTSC? As you might understand, I'm fairly
> clueless about the technology involved here. I'd be willing to
> purchase a
> device like the HD-PVR--assuming TWC would provide me, free of
> charge, a
> DTA with component output AND if that combination would enable me to
> access a video signal (analog NTSC?) I could record to my MythTV.

I am going through this same process with SuddenLink.  You are correct,
the OUT port has a standard def analog signal for whatever channel you
are tuned to and you might also have an HDMI port which would give you
a better picture on a TV but would almost certainly be locked with
HDCP, at least when tuned to any interesting channel, making it not
just illegal (I don't care about staying legal anymore) but difficult
(I do care about that part) to use with Myth.
Basically, you can still watch and record in SD.  I'm still waiting to
see how many channels my Prime gets after next week's conversion to all
digital and the Clear QAM hole closes.  Figure on losing the SD copies
of USA, SyFy, CNBC, MSNBC at a minimum, to go with losing the HD copiesof those plus a couple more a couple years back.  Will very likely lose more.  So I got the free box and am examining my options.  I have an old PVR-350 I could reinstall to capture video from.