[mythtv-users] interfacing MythTV with a DTA, lirc queries

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Thu Jul 21 23:27:28 UTC 2016

On 07/21/2016 03:38 PM, James Miller wrote:
> Still trying to understand better what are my options now that my cable provider (TWC, US) has
> pretty much finished digitizing/encrypting all channels. Incidentally, the old analog signal
> continued to be transmitted for about 3 weeks after the stated deadline for obtaining an adapter,
> with a few channels being digitized/encrypted at a time starting about a week after the deadline.
>
> Here's one issue on which any further utilization of cable might hinge, and one about which I have
> a sketchy understanding that I think may be more or less correct. I'd like to ask for confirmation
> about that on this list. So, one way I might try continuing to view/record cable programming on my
> MythTV system would involve, as a preliminary step, acquiring one of the DTA's the cable co. is
> offering free of charge (I am unwilling to pay even a minimal fee to rent any equipment from them
> so, though renting an STB from the might offer me more flexibility in interfacing with a MythTV
> system, that's not an option I intend to explore for now). The DTA available to me is this one:
> http://cp.mcafee.com/d/FZsS96Qm73hOyNssPsTsSzuUUtsQsIIndETKe7nd7bbMUSzuUUtsQsII8CQrELEK9zHLCUEq2EOxqIendNB2RosKrRTS4jhOevW_6zAQsLfFEZuVtdd5fAjhOqerTjpWyaqRQRrFzKl3PWApmU6CQjr1KVKVIDeqR4IMFOFqpepDw0e695po9iFqEG70Ag5kNO8n3zqFqpepAKTjUQbAaJMJZ0kGmCjCpU02rvsu76PiSGmCjCpbJQ-d3iWq89gDYntJa14Qg3pqpc4xAQg69j9Cy3jh070Ag0cQg7OzoQg2PvNBZ3rXNLISpKDiOljRc.
> Am I correct in assuming that, as an initial step, I could, using the lirc configuration provided
> at that link, cause my MythTV system to prompt the DTA to do channel changing, e.g., in
> preparation for recording a showing?
>
> I realize, btw, that this would likely be the least challenging aspect of what I'd need to do to
> be able to once again record from cable. The more daunting task would be to configure some sort of
> device to turn an HDMI stream (emanating from the DTA) into a network signal, then get MythTV to
> capture it from the network. From other recent threads I get the impression that bits and pieces
> of information for doing this sort of thing are available, though adapting those directives to
> particular situations like mine might be too much of a challenge for someone with my modest
> technical abilities. But I do feel as though I need to consider all the possibilities and, even
> though I may not wind up trying to implement a scheme like this, I might nonetheless benefit by
> increasing somewhat my understanding of the issues.
>
> Afterthought: implementing a system such as I've alluded to looks, based on past experience, like
> getting involved in a game of whack-a-mole--does it not? In other words, someone puzzles out some
> sort of weakness in the system that can be exploited, which the big players then move to plug, at
> which point the set-up ceases working. Until the next weakness is discovered . . . rinse and
> [...]

I'm running with a DTA into a Hauppauge MCE 150 card. Then using an IR-blaster (of the
TopSpeed eHome variety) to change channels using LIRC.  If you're using a legacy analog
NTSC input to record, you can use that instead of the HDMI output.  It's fix-tuned to
channel 3 or 4.

All you would need is an IR blaster, a device that acts like the manual remote control to change
channels. The lirc documentation can be confusing - a lot of it talks about receiving from
a remote to control MythTV.  This is *transmitting* usually via a USB to IR dongle, taping the
IR led to (or near) the DTA front where the receiver usually is.  It's been a few years since
I set this up - I don't remember where in the setup I told it to use LIRC to change channels
fix the Hauppauge tuning to channel 3.  And myth has progressed from 0.2? to 0.28.

Good luck and have fun!
-Bob Arendt