[mythtv-users] Problem with LIRC after upgrade to Fedora 24

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Wed Jul 20 19:29:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/07/16 23:42, Paul Gallaway wrote:

>>> I am also having trouble getting my remote to work well after upgrading
>>> from
>>> F23 to F24. It's the same damned problem I had five years ago that
>>> started a
>>> long thread on this list with F14, but it's not the same fix. That one
>>> turned out to be an actual kernel driver bug that got fixed. This time,
>>> most
>>> likely not.
>>>
>>> Away from my system currently so probably just adding more noise than
>> anything. I am seeing a similar problem and I've been trying to
>> troubleshoot (although haven't really put in the time).
>>
>> Not using Fedora. I'm running Debian Jessie/stable (8), using a 4.6
>> kernel through jessie-backports repository with MythTV 0.27 from
>> deb-multimedia repository, and my remote stopped working. I am
>> currently using devinput as the LIRC driver (and have been for some
>> time since running a kernel with it available as an option). I have an
>> MCE-USB remote device, one of the original MS branded ones from circa
>> 2008. I have a second one I've tested on my main and secondary system
>> with the same issue.
>>
>> Anyway, since kernel 4.5+ the remote hasn't worked with my
>> configuration. Finally had some time to troubleshoot over the weekend
>> and dropping back to a 4.4 kernel and the remote works as expected.
>> Boot the 4.6 kernel and it stops. My next step will be to submit a bug
>> report to the Debian kernel team, but I'd need to boot back into the
>> non-functioning kernel to complete the report.
>>

> This might be the same as the Debian bug #790969 [1]
>
> My other working theory (read untested and I have no evidence) is that
>> kernels 4.5+ need a newer version of LIRC (0.94 was recently released
>> and I think roughly maps to the release period) than is available in
>> Debian Jessie repositories for devinput to function. Just a giant stab
>> in the dark. Searching the Fedora project, it appears as though it is
>> shipping with 0.94a which is the most recent LIRC release. It might be
>> time to move to Stretch/testing version of Debian which may solve this
>>

> There is Debian packaging available in the upstream source package [2]
> which can be used to test. Although I doubt that an update will solve
> this issue, lirc-0.9.4 's mode2 can be used to debug the output from the
> devinput driver using something like 'mode2 --driver devinput --device
> auto' which might help debugging the kernel output.
>
> One possible culprit is the /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/devinput.lircd.conf
> if the kernel has changed the codes somehow. lirc-0.9.4 contains a
> script lirc-make-devinput which can re-generate this file using the
> kernel headers.
>
> An effort to update the Debian packages is under way [3]. However, the
> current maintainer is somewhat reluctant to make this update, so it's
> kind of stalled for the moment (although my sponsor has declared he
> [...]
I regenerated the devinput.lircd.conf file from the script as described and
placed it in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d
I did not see a change when running mode2:

[root at htpc ~]# mode2 --driver devinput --device auto
Using driver devinput on device auto
Trying device: /dev/input/event3
Using device: /dev/input/event3
Warning: Running as root.

<no output after pressing several keys on remote>

I do see output when doing "cat /dev/lirc0" and for "mode2 --driver default
--device auto"

Perhaps some other configuration file was overwritten when the rpm was
updated to 0.9.4a?  I'm certainly no expert.

I did see that one can roll back to an earlier lirc version (0.9.3a-4) in
Fedora.  I tried this and noticed that the driver was set as "default" in
/etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf (This is set as devinput with the 0.9.4a rpm).
That might be why I didn't run into any problems with a 4.5.x kernel.

Fortunately, things are working for me when I set the driver to default.

I hope that helps somewhat.  I'm not sure what else to try here.