[mythtv-users] upgraded 0.28 on mythbuntu not finding proper backend

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jul 19 15:47:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 02:11 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> Because there are separate settings for the address of the database
> server and the address of the backend server.

Yes, understood. The problem I am having it not of a working and non-
working FE not finding the database.  They are both finding the
database just fine.  It's after that, where they are trying to connect
to different Mythtv back-ends.

> The connection to the
> database is made using the address in the config.xml file,

Right.  That much is working for both FEs per my previous message.
 They are both connecting to the database on the Master BE.

> In mythtv-setup, open the General page, and there you will see the
> settings for the Local Backend

10.75.22.2
fd31:aeb1:48df:0:214:d1ff:fe13:52fb

>  and Master Backend addresses.

pvr.example.com

which resolves to both of those addresses above.

> As you
> have only one (master) backend, both IP addresses should be set to
> the
> external IP address of the backend box.  Those two settings are
> stored
> in the database "settings" table as BackendServerIP and
> MasterServerIP
> respectively.  In the settings table, the MasterServerIP value has a
> NULL hostname as it is a setting common to all hosts.  However, the
> BackendServerIP value has the hostname of the host to which it
> applies.  When there are multiple backends, there will be multiple
> BackendServerIP entries, one for each backend, each with different
> hostname values.

So if any of this were wrong, why would one FE be finding the right
back end address and working and another thinking the backend was
"lcoalhost" and not working?

> So, check all the config.xml files, and make sure they all have the
> same settings,

They do.  The log output shows both the working and non-working FEs
successfully connecting to the same database.

> Then check what the database has for the
> BackendServerIP and MasterServerIP settings.  You can do that by
> logging in to the mythconverg database with mysql and doing this
> query:
>
>   select * from settings where value like '%ServerIP';

I get:

value	data	hostname
BackendServerIP	10.75.22.2	pvr
MasterServerIP	pvr.interlinx.bc.ca	NULL

exactly as mythtv-setup->General shows.

> Also, you need to check that the database is accessible from outside
> the backend box.

It is.  The one working FE would not be working if it weren't I don't
think.

Ultimately this all comes down to the original question of why one FE
finds the right backend to use (fd31:aeb1:48df:0:214:d1ff:fe13:52fb)
while the other thinks it wants to connect to "localhost" when both are
successfully looking at the exact same database.

Cheers,
b.