[mythtv-users] MythBE1 Backend Failed

Philip Brady Phil.Brady at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 18:19:45 UTC 2016

________________________________
From: mythtv-users <mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org> on behalf of Barry Martin <barry3martin at gmail.com>
Sent: 09 July 2016 00:54
To: mythtv-users
Subject: [mythtv-users] MythBE1 Backend Failed

Hi Folks!

Yes, same newbie who just received help getting his Frontend to consistently locate and latch on the the Backend.  (Well that sounds a little strange!!) Subject was "FrontEnd will connect if it feels like it".

Was trying to work on an unrelated and so far unasked problem where I am unable to record from a specific station/substations.  Was testing with "Watch Live TV" and I thought the Frontend had locked up due to no signal but that might have been when the Backend failed.  Have tried rebooting, both reboot and power off for several minutes.  MCC > MySQL > Lanuch MythTV Setup goes to the language screen.

Can't copy the screen but where it paused is "Can't connect to MySQL Server on 'MythBE1' (111)"

In case the MythFrontend log does any good:

barry at Lenovo-M58<mailto:barry at Lenovo-M58>:~$ pastebinit '/media/barry/ADATA UFD/MythBE_01'
http://paste.ubuntu.com/18841136/

Hopefully this makes sense -- I'm a little freaked out right now!
Barry
---------------------------------
Barry,
 are you sure that you backend is alive and kicking when frontend starts?
Try a delay in the frontend script which waits for backend like this:

#!/bin/bash
for kip in 1 5 5 5 5 5 5
do
    sleep $kip
    REPLY=$(curl -s 192.168.2.99:6544/Myth/GetHostName | grep String | wc -l)
    echo reply is $REPLY
    if [ $REPLY -eq 1 ]; then
        echo " backend running"
        exit
    fi
done

The echos are for testing purposes - remove them when it is working.
Phil