[mythtv-users] FrontEnd will connect if feels like it

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Jul 7 19:43:34 UTC 2016

On 07/07/16 19:58, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 07/07/2016 12:20 PM, Barry Martin wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gary and Stephen!
>>
>> <Gary wrote>
>>> Summary of the issue:
>>> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/
>>> As noted, any service which is going to start mythfrontend is
>>> going to have to have the appropriate stanzas in them.
>>
>> Love the "cut the crap" section! <ROTFL>  Not to be rude but yeah, gimme
>> the answer to my problem!! <laff>
>>

>> <Stephen suggested:>
>>> Barry: From my reading of that page, it looks like trying:
>>>   systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
>>
>> Didn't seem to help at all  Tried five times (at Terminal
>> 'mythfrontend') and kept going to the Language screen which generally
>> means no connection to the Backend.  On-screen logs show that
>> "SOAPClient" error to the IPv6 address  (and checked against my original
>> post -- is the same address).
>>
>> As Gary stated, 'appropriate stanzas' are probably already included.
>> ...Haha: just tried and it connected!  ...Will use that with Roger's
>> PasteBin request.  (Oo - sorry, missed you in the original reply.)
>
> I missed the start of this thread, so some of this may be redundant.
>
> Does systemctl status mythbackend.service report that the backend is
> running?
>
> the {/etc|/lib}/systemd/system/mythbackend.service file should have the
> following at the top:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=MythTV backend service
> Wants=httpd.service
> After=network.target mariadb.service
>
> This has been in the Fedora version for at least a year, and I doubt
> that Ubuntu did not borrow that which already worked, to put into Ubuntu.
>
> In that case, the problem should not be NetworkManager. If you think it
> might  be that problem you might see a 'link not ready' line in the boot
> output. In any case, write a small wrapper script to replace the
> ExecStart line in NetworkManager,service and stick a 'sleep 5' line
> before the 'usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon' line in the wrapper.
>
> Then system daemon-reload && systemctl restart NetworkManager.service.
>
> This will delay startup by 5 seconds, for network.service and
> mythbackend.service.
>
> Then:
>
> mythfrontend should not be started by systemd (ok; unless you are
> running the box as a kiosk type of setup).
>
> Try starting mythfrontend from a console in a window ( -w ) and with a
> reduced size (using --geometry) so you can see the output of the startup.
>
> This might explain any number of other problems, from schema errors to
> mysql errors to network errors.  In that respect, my experience is that
> it is ALWAYS easier to trace problems when the boxen are on static IP
> addresses. You don't actually have to make the box static, if you force
> a fixed DHCP address being served up by the router against the MAC
> address. (Makes roaming with your laptop/tablets/phones easier, too, as
> [...]

I haven't butted in before, but it seems to me that the configurations
in fedora and buntu are different, with 'mythfrontend' in Fedora
corresponding to 'mythfrontend.real' in (kubuntu + MythTV); similarly
for 'mythtvsetup' and 'mythtv-setup.real'.

I run each of them in a tab within Konsole (the kde VT) and use other
tabs to run other jobs not integrated into myth.   That arrangement
seems to suit me, and I can start and stop components as I wish. Of
course I'm the only user and no doubt it will horrify others.  But it
seems to me that running 'buntu 'mythfrontend' several times in
succession could give quite a tangle  ??

John P