[mythtv-users] FrontEnd will connect if feels like it

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 7 10:06:11 UTC 2016

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 05:25:39 +0000, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Stephen Worthington
>> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> The solution is likely to be changing the settings in the file that
>>> starts mythfrontend so that it waits until after IPv4 networking is
>>> fully up.
>>
>> Summary of the issue:
>>
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/
>>
>> As noted, any service which is going to start mythfrontend is
>> going to have to have the appropriate stanzas in them.
>
> Thanks Gary, that is a very useful page for me too.
>
> Barry: From my reading of that page, it looks like trying:
>
>    systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
>
> would be the next thing for you to do.  That will enable
> NetworkManager waiting for an IP address to be available before
> starting things, and if you are lucky may be all that you need.

There's more at:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration

However there's an implication that Mythbuntu is being used and I would
have thought the start-up scripts already cover that.

The config directory error and fallback to uPnp search points to a
deeper misconfiguration, so I would supply further details before
hacking any startup scripts.

Who owns /home/barry/.mythtv ("ls -ld /home/barry/.mythtv") ?
Possibly root because you've previously run the frontend using sudo.
Whatever, fix ownership with "sudo chown -R barry:barry /home/barry/.mythtv"

Then pastebin a complete log of frontend startup.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Posting_Logs

Is it a Mythbuntu installation ?
Do you have other remote frontends that connect ok ?