[mythtv-users] Ubuntu-mate on Raspberry pi and mythtv library problems

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 14:28:42 UTC 2016

On 07/03/2016 11:50 PM, Bob Sully wrote:
>>> Hi all -
>>>
>>> Just wondering if any progress has been made on this - interestingly,
>>> it didn't happen to me until I upgraded to the latest version (0627) -
>>> in the earlier version, the frontend started up OK - maybe a bit
>>> laggy, but it came up. Now - just the segfault as shown below. I
>>> tried creating the symlinks as recommended in the previous posts, but
>>> that didn't change the result. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>

>> There is a workaround, requiring creating some links and using
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>> See the instructions on the download page
>> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythtv/releases
>> If you are using the mythbuntu PPA the workaround should have been
>> automatically installed. If you did use mythbuntu PPA and this is not
>> the case, let us know so that the mythbuntu ppa can be fixed.
>> I have a fix in the works that will eliminate the need for the
>> workaround in a future release.
>>
>> Peter
>

> Peter, thanks very much - I had created the links but forgot to use
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> So, now, the frontend comes up, but I have discovered that I have
> another problem with makes Myth and any A/V app unusable:
>
> The only available sound output device the system can find is the
> analog stereo.  There is no option for the HDMI digital output at all.
> I'm having the same issue as this guy:
> https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/hdmi-on-rpi-ubuntumate/1248/35
>
> Playing an .mp3 music file over the analog output (which actually does
> come through the HDMI, but not well) is slow and choppy, and trying to
> play
> a video not only doesn't work but brings the system to a snail's pace.
>
> Even when not running A/V apps, it seems that Ubuntu Mate on the Pi 3
> is generally slower overall than Raspbian on my older Pi 2.
>

> I have asked Dr. Google about these issues, and made some changes in
> /boot/config,txt that were recommended - but they did not solve the
> problems.
>

> Can anyone post (or send me) an optimized /boot/config.txt for Ubuntu
> Mate 16.04 on the Pi 3?  I have license keys for the video codecs.
>
> Thanks in advance - Bob

Unfortunately, Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi is somewhat buggy on the hardware
support side. CEC and OpenGL ES are not working either. I have only used
analog sound for testing Raspberry Pi Ubuntu. Multimedia support is much
better with Raspbian.

The boot/config.txt in Ubuntu has detailed documentation in the form of
comments. I would look there to see if you can find anything for
activating HDMI audio.

So my recommendation is Raspbian.

Peter.