[mythtv-users] phantom scheduling

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 28 15:37:58 UTC 2016

On 01/28/2016 07:56 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Thursday, January 28, 2016, 1:40:11 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 01/28/2016 07:33 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>> Curiously, the wiki seems to says call sign and channel number should
>>> be the same, which seemed too risky for my set up.
>> There's absolutely no risk.
>>> Call sign alone resolved the conflict, gratzie!
>> Same call sign = same channel for the purposes of "this channel"
>> recording rules ("I don't care which of the channels is used for
>> recording shows")
>> Same channel number = same channel for the purposes of Live TV ("I don't
>> care which of the channels is tuned when I type that number in during
>> Live TV")
>> Same call sign and same channel number = same channel for scheduling and
>> Live TV and condensed to a single row in the guide ("I don't care which
>> channel is used for recording or Live TV *and* only want to see it once
>> on my guide")
>> So, you can have call sign and channel number different or the same,
>> depending on how you want it treated.
> And am I right, that then if you differentiate the priority, the
> highest priority is used by default only falling back to the lowest if
> the other is not available? Say when tuning LiveTV while a recording
> is going on.

The order in which inputs are chosen for Live TV or recordings is
determined by the Live TV and Schedule Order of inputs.  This should be
used to indicate which channel (or, specifically, which input that
receives that channel) is chosen for Live TV.

If you change the priority of a channel (or input)--in current MythTV
(this used to work differently before 0.27)--then once MythTV has
decided to record a show that appears on multiple channels, it will
prefer (but not guarantee) to record that show from the higher-priority
channel, even if it's not the first-schedule-ordered input.  You can use
this, for example, to prefer recording from a channel on a lower-quality
input if you have particular problems with that specific channel on your
higher-quality (first-schedule-ordered) input.  So, it allows an
override of the schedule order to an extent, for specific channel(s).
However, you should always set the schedule order to use inputs in the
desired order and only use channel priority for overriding that order
for problem channels or similar.

If you're in Live TV and request some channel that's available on the
current input, it will change to that channel.  If the channel is only
available on another input(s) (not the current input), but the next
input in Live TV order that can tune that channel is in use for
recording (i.e. potentially because you changed the priority of the
channel), you'll get an error that the input is busy and will have to
manually switch to another not-in-use input that has the desired channel
available to change to that channel.  Priority won't affect decision of
what input (nor which channel) to use for Live TV.

Mike