[mythtv-users] forget old recordings and re-record

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Jan 25 18:28:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 01/25/2016 12:37 PM, Greg wrote:
>
>> On 01/25/2016 04:51 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
>>
>>> Greg wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to forget a tv series and re-record it.. I have done it

>>> In frontend, TV, Previously Recorded, find any episode and (IIRC) press
>>> Enter (or whatever you've mapped to that) to get a menu where you have the
>>> option to "Forget all episodes".
>>> This removes the "previously recorded" record from the DB, so there's
>>> nothing to match again and everything will get re-recorded if you still
>>> have an active rules for it.
>>>
>>> If you still have non-deloeted episodes, then (again from memory) ...
>>> In TV, Manage Recordings (or Watch Recordings I think), highlight the
>>> series but don't right arrow to the episodes list. Press Menu twice (or it
>>> might be press Enter) and there's an option to add all the episodes to the
>>> playlist. Once there's something in the playlist there's an option to
>>> delete the playlist and the episodes will all be deleted - or you can just
>>> delete them one by one if there aren't many.
>>>

>>> Thanks that took care of it... I could have sworn there was a button you
>> check..
>>

> The only button you can "check" to allow re-recording episodes is the one
> in the recording rule to disable duplicate matching, but that won't
> re-record a TV series--that would cause MythTV to record every showing of
> the TV series (meaning you could get 5 copies of a single episode in a week
> if it airs that many times), so "Forget all episodes" is probably what you
> wanted and not disabled duplicate detection.
>
> Mike

There's also the setting in the recording rule to look for duplicates in
"Current Recordings", which will prevent you from accumulating multiple
copies of the same episode. However, it implies that you want to collect
all episodes and have them all on-disk at the same time. The "Forget Old"
is probably the better solution which allows you to manage the recordings
more flexibly--delete as you watch, etc.

Karl