[mythtv-users] front end pixelation (Kris Jensen) (Gary Buhrmaster)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 19 23:49:02 UTC 2016

On 01/19/2016 12:38 PM, Douglas Sargent wrote:

>  >>Cooler is always better (well, as long as it is above
>  >>the dew point).  My recollection is that Ceton specified(*)
>  >>something like 65C as the limit, so in theory you
>  >>should be fine at 50C, but cooler is better.
>
>  >When you say some recordings, is there any
>  >consistency in the channels?  Or the time of day
>  >when the problems occur?  Or when it rains (yes,
>  >cable should be immune, but the "closed system"
>  >sometimes has leakage (water, and RF).
>
> I put a small fan over the two cards, temperature dropped from 50C down
> to 30C, pixilation reduced dramatically. I still have the occasional
> glitch but way less.
>
> Pixelation occurs on most channels I am recording, as well any time of
> day, both rainy and dry days (few in Seattle), on both tuners, so no
> pattern there.  I think temp was the main culprit, even though I am well
> within Ceton Parameters.

Seattle?  Check the sockets where the cards plug in. The fingers on the
cards could be deteriorating. Try removing/inserting the cards a few
times. Same thing for the video card if you are using a non-integrated
chip-set.
If you suspect that humidity could be a cause, try putting some silica
gel packs into the computer case, or keeping it warm(er) and avoiding
temperature cycling (leave it on, or stick it somewhere which will
remain warmer than the local dewpoint.
--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury