[mythtv-users] Mirroring root partition on SSD to a hard drive -- bad idea?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jan 16 03:48:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 18:02:54 +0000, you wrote:

>Regular HDD's are a lot more forgiving about read errors.  True, a
>controller failure can stop the drive cold, but you can always buy an
>identical model, swap the board and get your data back.

Not for quite a while now - the electronics boards are now tied to the
physical drive and swapping them does not help at all.  I think there
is an ID written to a special area of the drive that has to match one
in the electronics.  I think this is part of the standard for the
"secure erase" feature.  Secure erase, if not complete, will
automatically restart when a drive is powered up again, and that could
be defeated if you could swap the electronics boards.  So my guess
would be that any drive that has the secure erase feature will not
allow swapping of the electronics.  Which means pretty much all drives
shipped in the last few years.