[mythtv-users] Mirroring root partition on SSD to a hard drive -- bad idea?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:34:20 UTC 2016

The narrative I'd seen was that SSDs are like light bulbs -- they work and
then they don't, and they don't last as long as HDs, but this was all
hearsay, which Gary reasonably questions. In my case, I'm using a 128GB
SanDisk that I got from Newegg awhile ago with the intent of using it when
I finally got off of MythBuntu 10.04/Myth 0.23.  Because of the sudden
failure storyline, I thought a mirror would be prudent, but I had hoped
that the HD wouldn't bog down the I/O performance -- it would just take
awhile to catch up with any backlog.

The comments made so far have made me rethink that approach. Now I'm kinda
liking the idea of a daily anacron job to rsync the system to an HD, or
maybe better to "tar czf" and logrotate several day's worth so I can
backtrack until I get a working instance in case a problem isn't
immediately apparent. It'll take me a day or so to mull over all that
should be done, cobble up a script that looks solid, and give it a try when
the next multi-hour window of system inactivity opens (since I'd have no
idea how much time it would take until I try it). If trials look practical,
then I can add it to my daily housekeeping process that runs once per day
on shutdown.  If it takes awhile to run, I can adjust the
minimum-time-before-next-recording requirement to prevent shutdowns that
would not provide enough time to get the work done before the next
recording was supposed to start.  If that time window is too large, then
I'll just have to think up another solution.

Despite what one former supervisor asserted, there really is more than one
way to get something done and the most obvious isn't necessarily the best,
so I try to be open to other ideas.  In that vein, please feel free to poke
holes in my revised plan of attack. ;-)

--
Craig.