[mythtv-users] User Job fails.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Thu Jan 14 03:01:08 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I've set up a frontend on an underpowered machine that can't keep up with HD,
so I've tried to set up "UserJob1" to try to do automatically what I've been
doing from the command line:

nice -n 20 mythffmpeg -i <file>.mpg -target ntsc-dvd <file>SD.mpg

This gets cumbersome fast trying to figure out what files go with what shows,
so I set up UserJob1  ("Convert to SD") to execute this (in mythtv-setup):

mythffmpeg -i %FILE% -target ntsc-dvd %FILE%

The menu entry appears in the jobs menu and running it starts the process
(I also checked "keep the original file" so I still would have the original HD
version) but when the backend finally starts the job I get this:

I JobQueue: Started Convert to SD for 'POTUS 2016 with Brian Lehrer" recorded from channel 1253 at 2016-01-13T10:00:00Z
I Starting process manager
I Starting IO manager (read)
I Starting process signal handler
I Staring IO manager (write)
E JobQueue: User job 'mythffmpeg -i 1253_20160113180000.mpg -target ntsc-dvd 1353_20160113180000.mpg' failed.

What am I doing wrong?  My guess is that the command line is somehow not
correct.

Ideally I would like the transcoded SD video to appear in the frontend screen
next to the original so I can watch it, delete it or do any other action to
it.  The most likely outcome is that I would watch the SD video, delete it
and either delete the HD version or mark it as watched.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks for any help.  I keep getting more and more amazed at the flexibility
of mythtv every time I think of something new I'd like and it appears to be
possible out-of-the-box, but unfortunately with all that flexibility comes
some complexity.  Kudos to the developers!

PS: the backend is 0.27-5 from deb-multimedia.org running on Debian
Jessie and the frontend is 0.27-5 compiled from source downloaded from
mythtv.org.