[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 - GPIO IR - Multiple Key-presses from remote control

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 19:46:17 UTC 2016

On 13/01/16 20:06, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> On 13/01/16 14:22, Larry Kennedy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 4:41 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com
>> <mailto:joe at thefrys.com>> wrote:
>>     On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Kingsley Turner
>>     <<mailto:krt at krt.com.au>krt at krt.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>         Greetings,
>>
>>         So I have my Raspberry PI GPIO Infra-Red remote mostly working
>>         fine.
>>
>>         I can see messages debugging with 'irw', all the codes are
>>         correct, etc.
>>
>>         However in mythfrontend (and irw) I quite clearly get multiple
>>         keypresses; 99% double, sometimes single, sometimes triple.
>>         e.g.:
>>         pi at raspberrypi:~ $ irw
>>         00000000807f9867 00 KEY_ENTER noontec_a6
>>         00000000807f9867 01 KEY_ENTER noontec_a6

This is by design. Most remotes sends several signal for each keypress
(hopefully, at least one is delivered OK). The important thing is that
the second number is increased for each signal as it indeed looks here
(00, 01, ...).

>>         Reading many of the various posts for MythTV (and XBMC, etc.)
>>         the proposed solutions are not applicable to RPi.
>>
>>         One thing I have tried, is creating an /etc/lirc/lircrc file
>>         which specifies button handling:
>>
>>         begin
>>             button = KEY_ENTER
>>             delay  = 5
>>             repeat = 3
>>             #prog   = irexec
>>             #config = echo KEY_ENTER
>>         end
>>
>>         I added a clause like this for every key.
>>
>>         If I run 'irexec' with those two commented-out lines back in,
>>         and press keys, the remote does behave as-if the lircrc file
>>         has made a difference.  Indeed, changing the delay & repeat
>>         allowed me to tune button pushing so there was no unwanted
>>         repeats - but only for irexec.
>>         Should I expect 'irw' and MytvTV to respect this lircrc file ?
>>
>>         Is there something I'm missing?
>>

>>     First of all... IRW doesn't really use your lircrc, so those
>>     options will have no effect.... it is showing every signal the
>>     receiver gets.

To test the lircrc configuration you should use ircat(1). Also, note
that the 'config' value is a string returned to the application, not a
command like in irexec.  RTFM: [1]

> Hi Larry,
>
> I did read all this (and other) help pages, but the first problem you
> encounter on the RPi, is that stuff like:
>       /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>
> don't exist.  IIRC, this directory only exists up to /sys/class/rc and
> then it's empty.

It is created when the kernel loads a (lirc-based) driver for a device.
In this case, I *guess* it's about the lirc_rpi driver. Is it loaded? Or
are you using another driver?

Note, I just presume that lirc_rpi sets up the rc device...

Cheers!

--alec

[1] http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html#lircrc_format