[mythtv-users] Recording from STB that requests channel access pins

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Jan 13 15:41:01 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 3:37 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to be vague, but at the time they were not relevant to me. But haven't there
> been channel change scripts discussed that do something similar to overcome the
> power toggle issue where the STB has an on/off toggle remote code?

I don't think you could do this in the channel change script.  The
problem is the delay.

For powering on the STB, it's simple.  If your recording starts 30
seconds before the program, it's no problem for the script to power on
the STB *now* and return successfully, allowing MythTV to start the
recording.  For the case of the pin entry, 30 seconds before the
program there's no pin entry screen to detect.  The channel change
script would need to wait for it before returning, but not all
programs have a pin requirement, so it might end up waiting for
something that never comes.

You would need to do this in MythTV itself, I think, since it would
need to happen after the recording has started.

Alternatively, you could have a daemon monitor MythTV's output
directory, and analyze all video as it's being written to disk.  Any
time it sees a pin entry screen, it sends the code, independent of
mythtv.

Eric