[mythtv-users] Unexpected end of recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 12 05:46:08 UTC 2016

On 01/11/2016 05:34 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> When I set up a schedule for a football game (American), I typically
> add 90 minutes to cover possible overtime situations. This weekend,
> the recordings of two games I set up ended well before their scheduled
> end plus 90 minutes. Other programs I've recorded this weekend appear
> to be complete. (I say appear, because I haven't watched them, yet.)
>
> The only thing I can think of is that, while each of the games was
> recording, one on Saturday, one on Sunday, I "may" have switched off
> and right back on the circuit breaker that serves either the MythTV
> computer or my cable modem and router. No interruption should have
> occurred because each of those have battery backups. Also, I've had
> whole house power failures before, and when the systems were restored,
> if there was something scheduled to be recording at that time, MythTV
> started recording a new file at the time the computer was back up,
> even though it was in the middle of the program. When I went to watch
> the games, my MythTV computer was running normally.
>
> So, while that's what came to mind, I don't think it's really the
> cause of the problem. Are there any other failure modes people are
> aware of that would cause MythTV to stop recording a program before
> either the scheduled end time, or the additional time added? (While
> I'm pretty sure this didn't happen, I have caught myself setting up 9
> minutes overtime instead of 90 in the past.)
>
> Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Powering off the source of the video (i.e. a cable box or similar) could
cause problems with some capture devices.

Generally, if it ends early and there are no errors in the MythTV logs,
the problem is that your capture device quit sending data at the time
the recording stopped but never sent an error condition, so MythTV
though all was well (and the last part of the video was just very, very,
very low (meaning 0) bitrate).

Mike