[mythtv-users] Testing latest Mythv

Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
Mon Jan 11 18:56:30 UTC 2016

George Nassas wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2016, at 4:28 AM, Bjoern Voigt <bjoernv at arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Is there a solution which is more elegant than renaming or symlinking the mysql.txt and config.txt files?
>
> Besides Stuart’s excellent write-up you might consider building and running myth in a virtual machine. I do this whenever I want to try something that involves DB changes. I agree with copying mythconverg into a second database instance or schema or whatever they call it and do it on your main machine, mysql in a VM is awful. Myth BE and FE in a virtual machine is fine. In my case I have an HDHR so I can test recording remotely from a VM on my Mac but you could also set up one of the network recorders like those that take HLS feeds.
I am using Qemu KVM. Redirecting the USB TV card to the guest system is possible, but never worked for me.

Another option is using LXC. This works for MythBackend without problems, but MythFrontend setup is difficult, if you want to use OpenGL, VDPAU etc. in LXC.

I will probably use the main system, not KVM, LXC etc.

> The other thing to watch out for is your test system quietly expiring recordings behind your production BE's back. I had a script for copying mythconverg that also did some post-processing where the expiry interval was set to 0 which meant don’t delete except under user control. You could also set it to some high interval like two years so testing myth will never touch anything in the “Deleted” group. Maybe that has already been mentioned but this thread is getting unwieldy and I might have missed it.
Good point. It's probably a good idea to write scripts for all the tasks for switching between 0.27 and 0.28
- stopping one backend
- renaming configuration files or changing MYTHCONFDIR
- setting recordings to writable or read-only
- starting the other backend

Greetings,
Björn