[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi works! Thanks Lawrence

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jan 11 04:07:22 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM, HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 2016-01-10 at 04:06 -0500, Joseph Fry wrote:
> > So I spent a rainy day inside working on getting the frontend working
> > on the PI.
> >

> > Here are the remaining issues
> > - OSD causes major stutter.  I notice that it pegs one core,
> > suggesting that, if it the blend could be multi-threaded it would not
> > be an issue.
> > - Playback is not centered, instead it ignores the overscan settings,
> > and because it does, the top and left of the screen are clipped, and I
> > get black borders on the bottom and right.  However the UI respects
> > the overscan, so it's better than EGLFS.
> >

> > I really want to use EGLFS, however it's still not quite as smooth,
> > and the overscan issues in the UI are unacceptable.
> >

> > Unfortunately, the reading I have done suggests that the only way to
> > fix the overscan in QT would be to layer the MythMainWindow onto a
> > parent window that is full screen.  Apparently QT doesn't allow
> > resizing the main window in EGLFS, I don't know how difficult this
> > would be, but it doesn't seem trivial to
> > me.(see:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=77545&p=740336).
> >

> > I know that these issues aren't news to anyone... so I will be patient
> > and continue to test new releases in hope that further improvements
> > are made.
> >

> > Overall though, I think I can safely say that MythFrontend on a
> > Raspberry Pi is a reality and is entirely usable today.  I will be
> > installing one immediately on the second most used TV in the house and
> > suspect that it will be much better received by the family than Kodi
> > has been.
> >

> > Thanks a ton Lawrence!
>
> Not a universal solution just a work-around but..
> Surly defeating the overscan on the display (TV) has to be a good option
> because it eliminates two unnecessary scaling operations & one has to
> run on the under-powered PI hardware.

If only it were so easy.  The Kid's TV is an old 60" Sony SXRD rear
projection set... and apparently they do not offer a full pixel option on
projection sets.  I guess it makes sense... the projectors in these sets
are actually 3 seperate 1080p projectors aligned to form one image, to
eliminate overscan you would need to physically adjust focus and realign.