[mythtv-users] Is 0.28 going to support HEVC does anyone know?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Jan 10 16:56:17 UTC 2016

On 10/01/16 15:34, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> If MythTV 0.28 will support HEVC, the next question is: Will MythTV 0.28 support DVB-T2 HD HEVC.
>>>
>>> Currently some TVs, receivers and other devices support DVB-T2 HD. DVB-T2 HD is not the same like DVB-T2. DVB T2 HD uses H.265 HEVC while DVB-T2 uses H.264. DVB-T2 HD is currently in testing phase in Germany. Here you find additional information:
>>>
>>> http://www.dvb-t2hd.de/englisch
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Björn
>>>
>> In the UK our HD is DVB-T2 and is H.264.
> Is this (DVB-T2 with H.264) fully supported in MythTV 0.27 / 0.28?
>
> Do you have some encrypted DVB-T2 channels in UK?
>
> In Germany some DVB-T2 HD channels will be encrypted.
>
>> I don't know if some Euro-regulation will make us conform in the future.
> I don't think so. Some software decoders will probably support both standards. But most DVB-T2 TVs and hardware decoders and will not be powerful enough to decode H.265 HEVC streams. So firmware updates will not help.
>
> I don't know, if DVB-T2 USB PC adapters can be used for DVB-T2 HD HEVC too. In theory this should be possible, because the H.265 HEVC decoding is done on the PC.
>
> Is someone working on this?

I can't answer for the future.

I'm running the deb-multimedia build of fixes/0.27 (ad97d24) under Wheezy, using a PC-290e tuner,
and the broadcasts all come through OK.

So far as I am aware I don't think there are any encrypted HD transmissions /yet/ although there are
some SD ones on Freeview.

--

Mike Perkins