[mythtv-users] Remote Suggestions

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Jan 10 06:26:07 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 5:34 PM, <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

>     > Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 00:54:02 -0500
>     > From: Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com>
>
>     > > Does anyone know if this remote uses compatible IR signaling with
> what
>     > > a Hauppage PVR-350 receiver expects?
>
>     > The IR receiver in the 350 only supports RC5 and RC6.  That said, I
> don't
>     > recall if RC6 is actually supported in the Linux driver (RC5
> definitely is).
>
> Thanks; that's useful to know.  So does anyone know what signaling
> protocol the RM-VLZ620 uses?  I'm having issues figuring that out.
> The obvious searches (e.g., model number & "protocol") all talk about
> programming the buttons, not what IR signals it sends.
>
> [Granted, I might still get one and also get a different receiver,
> but it lessens my "just give it a whirl" impetus.  And if anyone
> has suggestions for cheap, actually-on-the-market and/or trivial
> to get via ebay receivers, that might also be handy.]

I know for certain that it will support RC5, pretty sure it supports RC6
 (it supports Phillips blueray players which came after phillips created
the RC6 protocol), I would assume it supports Sony (since they made it),
 not sure about NEC or Matsushita but they are fairly common so I would
suspect that most universal remotes support them as well.

The more obscure protocols may be hit or miss.  Fortunately most devices
use the above protocols.

I found a thread (
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89222&sid=8143353c35a300be3b51e11a024c41f8)
that speculates that UEI is the OEM.  UEI made the One For All remotes and
is the OEM for many (most?) of the remotes you see in stores.

I think you will be fine.